Thursday, September 12, 2013

Naming Baby Boy

There was MUCH debate over what to name this little man! It has taken months, years really to decide on a name. Ever since we were pregnant with Olivia we have contemplated boy names (before we knew the gender). We have never come to agreement on a boy name! Some other names that were on the top of the list were Camden and Carter. There were many others that were also debated like Jacob and Zachary, but they never quite made it to the top of the list. The day Asher was born he was Mr no name. He came out, and everyone asked "what's his name!?" We just stared blankly and shrugged our shoulders saying we weren't decided yet! Claire kept telling me not to worry  that when the baby is born it comes with a name. So- we waited until he was born to see what name he came with. I guess he forgot his name tag because we just didn't know! I kept contemplating the name Camden, but I kept looking at him and it just didn't feel right. I really liked the name, but he didn't look like a Camden to me. When I looked at him the name Asher felt right, but I was hesitant about the name. It is different, and I knew a lot of people just didn't seem to fond of it. In the middle of the night around 4 am I had all but decided on the name Asher. When Brett came to visit that morning he had pretty much accepted the name Camden! That night Brett took the girls to Chinese food. Brett's fortune cookie said "happiness is right next to you. stop searching." The name Asher means "Blessed, Happy". That is when Brett knew we had found the right name! Brett is rather superstitious!

When Brett was in college he had a Chinese room mate who told him that Brett was "happiness" and gave him a little happy symbol necklace. Brett's favorite scripture is also on happiness. So, with the name Asher meaning "happy" it just seemed right. Also, we felt very blessed to have been given a boy on our last baby. So, Asher meaning "blessed" made sense too! Other reasons the name felt right was because I wanted something unique, and not too common since we have the last name Peterson, but I also wanted it to be some what traditional and normal. Asher is actually a biblical name. In the Old Testament Asher is the son of Jacob and Leah's handmaid Zilpah and one of the ancestors of the 12 tribes of Isreal. Anyway- I liked that it was tradition and a biblical name, yet not so common like the names Jacob and Zachary. When you have the last name Peterson you don't want a super common name! And since he is a boy his name will never change, so it made it that much more difficult to name him!

And that is how his name came to be! It is on his birth certificate, so there is no going back now! Quite honestly I am glad it's over! It is stressful trying to name a baby!!

3 comments:

Betty said...

Asher is a good name. Other than biblically, I hadn't heard it before. I like it.

Alisha said...

this made me teary. (almost anything does though). baby naming is soooooooo hard for us! i did feel extra pressure with the boy bc it does stick. i love the name Asher for him. it fits.

Karen K. said...

I really like the story and am glad you gave the history of how you came up with it. Even though I was hesitant at first I really, really like his name now. So glad he is here!!!