Sunday, September 01, 2013

Asher Brett Peterson




 

Born August 21, 2013

9:05 pm

7 lbs 3 oz

19 inches long

 Baby Asher is here! We are so happy and excited to have a baby BOY in the house! Here is the story of the labor and delivery:
       On August 19th I woke up worried and scared. I was scared I wouldn't make it to the hospital when I went into labor, scared Brett wouldn't make it home in time. I was scared that the baby would have blood sugar issues since I had diabetes. I asked Brett to give me a blessing. In the blessing I was blessed that I would know the right time to leave for the hospital, etc. The blessing eased my mind and I felt less scared and that whatever happened I would be blessed.  I went in to the Doctors office that morning and they checked me, I was dilated to a 4 and 100%effaced. I asked the Dr to strip my membranes. Well, he supposedly did, but it did not hurt and took him a total of 2 seconds. I knew that what he had done was not going to help get labor started and I left feeling very depressed and mad that he didn't do a better job of helping my labor get started! By this point in pregnancy it is just SO uncomfortable. It was painful to do just about anything and I was ready to have him out! I was starting to feel like he may never come out. The morning of August 21 I decided to go back to the Dr's office and have them check me again. The Dr had told me that if I had dilated to a 5 they would admit me to the hospital and get labor on its way. I was really hoping that maybe I had dilated that 1 cm more. Well, I had not, so I asked him to strip my membranes again. This time I could tell that he had actually done something since I had blood an hour later. I was so happy to see signs that maybe the baby was coming! I decided to stay as active as possible that day to hopefully encourage labor. I took all of Emmas clothes that were getting too small and packed them away in a box and pulled out the new boxes of Olivia and Claires old clothes and hung them up. This meant hauling big diaper boxes full of clothes up and down the stairs to the basement. I carried about 6 different boxes up or down the stairs to switch them out. So, it was a little strenuous and hard, but I didn't mind since it gave me contractions. Although it isn't fun to have contractions, it meant that the baby could be coming, so I was all for it! At about 5:30 I became aware that I had been having quite a few contractions and I thought MAYBE this was the night. I decided to call Sherri- Bretts mom and asked if she could stay the night just in case. She asked if she needed to come quickly and I said "no, I may not even have the baby tonight. I just feel like maybe it will happen, so it would be nice to have you here just in case!" Well, about 20 minutes later and some timing of contractions I knew I WAS indeed in labor. It was dinner time and no one had eaten, but I decided to start packing and getting ready to leave. I took a quick shower and finished packing my bag. The girls ran around and Olivia asked "So your falling into labor now!?" looking confused at why I didn't look any different. I said yes and that they would go to the neighbors until Grandma and Grandpa arrived. By about 7:00pm we were out the door and headed to the hospital. I was in moderate pain, but it was bearable. We arrived and checked in. After all the questions and changing into hospital gowns, etc they finally checked me. That was at about 7:50ish. I was only dilated to a 5. So I decided I would get an epidural. It was getting to be very painful and I was starting to freak myself out thinking of having these pains for hours. I kept saying "I don't know how any one can handle this sort of pain for hours and hours! It hurts SO bad!" They put my IV in after hitting a valve which left my hand and arm in tons of pain (it still hurts over a week later). Then the anesthesiologist came in to start the epidural. It felt like forever and ever waiting for the pain to stop. By the time he had gotten it in it was about 8:40. I kept waiting to go numb. Finally about 10 min later I start to feel numb, but only on ONE side! I was really freaked out. Now my left side and my vagina hurt like CRAZY but my right side was numb. I flipped over hoping to get the medicine to the other side. It wasn't working. The Dr came in and checked me. He said "well, you are complete and ready to go!" I started crying, because I was NOT ready to go! I wanted the pain to be gone and it wasn't! The anesthesiologist came back in and hit me up with a faster dose of medicine. The Dr proceeded to break my water and have me start pushing. He said we would go "nice and slow" so that I wouldn't tear. Well, it hurt like crazy and nice and slow was the last thing I wanted, but I reminded myself it was almost over and I would rather not tear or have an episotomy if at all possible. After about 5 minutes of pushing and a last minute small episiotomy our baby boy was here! There was no more pain and just a sweet baby boy in my arms! It was so un-real and hard to imagine that he was really inside me and now here a full grown healthy baby. He cried and cried. He was quite the screamer for the next hour until we requested a binky. I tried to nurse him, but he wouldn't latch on. When he finally got his binky he settled right down and fell asleep. I was finally numb after all was said and done and feeling a little annoyed that it didn't set in until AFTER he was born, but at least I had no pain after he was born! All the nurses kept asking his name. We were still undecided so we had no answer. We finally decided a day and a half later. We are so happy and feel so blessed that Asher is here and healthy. He had no blood sugar issues. He really didn't have any health issues at all. He is just perfect and we love him!



4 comments:

Ma said...

Wow. I had to read your blog to learn half the birth story. Somehow I missed a lot of that when we talked (meaning we didn't talk about it ;). I'm glad you wrote it down! Asher is perfect and I'm glad he isn't a constant crier--I remember being a little concerned the night he was born with all the crying he did! So happy you have your boy now. I love you. ~Mom (I had to erase the comment above since I was in your account and it looked like you'd commented on your own post!)

Alisha said...

I'm totally crying!! I'm so happy for you and Brett. Watch out Brett, Sarah has a new boyfriend. He is totally perfect. I hope he gets the hang of nursing and how awesome that he loves the binky so fast! That is crazy how fast it was from the time you got your epidural to when he was out. Love you!!

Emily D said...

That was a lot like my delivery with Sam. At least the epidural part. It only worked on half my body and I knew Sam would be out soon. The anetheseologist kept trying to give me more meds and i was mad at him because I knew that I'd have to endure the pains of delivery and then be numb after he was out! I remember the doctor stitching me up afterward and I told him, I can feel that! Ow! He was so surprised that I wasn't numb even though I had the epidural.

That was a good idea to get a blessing. I will definitely have to try that to help ease my nerves.

and you look absolutely gorgeous right before delivery! I am so glad he is healthy and loved by everyone in the house!

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing the story! Glad he came fast since the epidural wasn't working ideally :-( He is such a sweet addition to your family. Can't wait to meet him!