Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Emma and the deer

 Emma admiring the deer
 Emma grazing on clovers with the deer

The deer over at Walowa were quite domesticated. Emma LOVED the deer, In fact, over this trip we learned that Emma really loves animals. She would kick and squeal and reach for any animals in sight. So different from the other 2 girls! We called the deer her "other family" because they really seemed to like each other! At one point 3 deer came up to Em and I and got waaay too close. I kept backing up and they kept trying to get closer to Emma. They were only inches away. I shooed them away, but it was a little scary. I don't think they meant harm, but who knows!
Later one of the male deer was getting a little crazy. He was bucking and kicking the other deer around. So, we decided to leave the are and go back to our yurt. The deer started to follow us. We walked a little faster. The next thing we knew the deer was running at us while bucking its head around wildly. He had big baby fuzzy antlers- so it was totally scary! He was headed straight for Claire. Brett picked up Claire just in time as he stuck out his foot to kick the deer. Luckily the deer stopped in its tracks and we didn't need to kick it. We ran inside and then watched the mad deer go buck and kick the other female deers around. We don't know why he was so upset, but he was out to beat someone or something up! Glad we were okay!

3 comments:

Karen K. said...

I love your caption about Emma grazing on clover. Made me laugh out loud.

The more I think about those deer the more nervous I get. We probably shouldn't have gotten so close to them but it became more obvious as the days went by, didn't it! I am so glad the deer didn't get Claire. Their hooves are extremely sharp and can do a lot of damage in addition to any of the charging and butting. Poor sweet Claire! Maybe the deer was mad that Claire was with Emma and wanted you all to leave Emma alone with him? She was HIS baby! hahaha

Karen K. said...

Lazy readers. This deserves comments! I miss my little clover-grazer and everyone else!

Alisha said...

ha! grazing.
dude, that's totally scary!