Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sometimes I say dumb things

I was just reading a blog about someone being offended... and it got me thinking. I can say the dumbest things sometimes. So... to all of you who I MAY have offended, I am sorry! I generally mean no harm, but things come out all wrong sometimes. I think my worst comments are when I tell pregnant ladies "You're getting so big!" I do NOT mean fat, ugly, wide, chunky... I MEAN the BABY is growing and that is awesome!! I have said many insensitive things of this nature... I think I also ask questions that may be private. Dang it!! So, if I ever say something dumb to you- please tell me.. nicely!! That way I don't make someone else mad and say it again!
You all do this too, right!? (Although I'm not sure I've ever been too offended by these types of things- that is probably why I do it. I just don't realize it hurts feelings or makes people uncomfortable!)

5 comments:

Brandi said...

Yeah I'm pretty sure we all do it. Part of being human. You've never offended me Sarah, not that I can remember anyway.

Karen K. said...

You are not an offensive person, at least I don't think so! Believe me, I've got that one situation about 'slummin' it' that has you beat to all get up! Now THAT was a mortifying comment on my part. Every time I think about it I just want to die. aaaagh... remember that quote that Pres Monson used? "A man's a fool who takes an insult that wasn't intended." (or something to that effect). I think it's sad when people take offense at innocent questions or comments from others. We don't know everyone's situations--if there is something that causes us pain or sensitivity in our lives it is not the fault of the questioner. Does that mean we are supposed to just ask politically correct questions? I think the only one that MIGHT fall into that category would be "How are you today?" Then again, maybe not. Sorry for the epistle. I could blog about this, but I'd probably offend someone! :) I love you!

nettie said...

sarah, i doubt you've ever offended anyone. your mom is right, people who get offended usually take things wrong. most people aren't trying to be rude.

Rory and Tosha Sargent said...

i think everyone has moments like that when they say things that others might take offense to when you had no idea they would take it that way. i know ive been there before. plus sarah your like the sweetest person

AMY AND MIKEY said...

This entire blog post offended me. Just joking. You have never offended me and I don't think you cuold because you have one of the kindest hearts I know. I love you so much, and if I could pick any of my long distance friends to live by me, it would be you (hope the other's aren't reading this!) But seriously, I can tell you anything, you don't judge me, you know me, you get me, and I feel so much compassion from you, I love you!- BUT- I have said some of the dumbest things in my life- so I totally feel you on this one. This is the biggest one I've never done- oh my gosh- I'm going to tell you because I know you'll appreciate it- So this is in Utah, I'm sitting with my friend Lisa, the red head- and this guy is flirting with us- and we say "what kind of girl do you go for?" and he says "brunettes and red heads" and I say, "Really?! That is really surprising because usually people don't like red heads..." OH MY GOSH- I totally didn't get that first of all he was just flirting with us- and number two- my freakin red head friend was sitting right there and I said that! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!! It still makes me so embarrassed thinking about it- Uh!!!!! Love you