Wednesday, June 03, 2009

They Love each other

Olivia is really starting to love her sister. She plays with her, makes her smile and even tries to take care of her every cry. Last night at 4:30 am she went in her room to give Claire her binky and talk to her when she was crying. Then, she decided to steal the binky and come tell us that Claire was crying. (I already knew, I was trying to let her cry it out...)

Claire is perfecting her rolls... even during diaper changes! haha She can now roll from her tummy to her back too.

I have FINALLY done it. I can make chocolate chip cookies. This is quite the accomplishment. I have stunk at it now for years. They NEVER EVER turn out well, until now. I found the perfect recipe. YESSSS! Well, I did tweak it a bit, but after a little tweaking it is perfect! )
Here is the recipe itself (Sarah style that is!):
(it has over 3,000 reviews and still has a 3.5 out of 4 stars rating)

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
  4. Bake for about 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are LIGHTLY toasted. These cookies always look not quite done, but they are ;) Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

12 comments:

Emily D said...

aww! how precious! Livie is such a good big sister.
I'll have to test those chocolate chip cookies... The picture looks great! I'm glad you finally found your recipe so you don't have to buy the store dough anymore!

THE SHAWS said...

I'm so glad you put that recipe on on your blog...it will definatly be used in our house this weekend. No doubt! Looks yummy! I think it's great that your girls are besties...so cute!

Amy Kay Peterson said...

You know Sarah-- A batch would be the PERFECT housewarming gift for me.. HINT HINT!!! :)

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

So I'm not the only one who has been stumped by chocolate chip cookies?!?! It frustrates me every time I try to make a batch. I consider myself to be a pretty good baker but have ALWAYS struggled with good chocolate chip cookies. That Toll House recipe just doesn't work for me! I will DEFINITELY be trying these this weekend (if not tonight!). Thanks for sharing!

I'm so glad your girls are getting along well already! :)

Karen K. said...

I think that is SO funny that Olivia went in to console Claire and then evidently gave up on that idea so stole the binky and came to you. HA! She is such a light sleeper.

What a cute little baby bummy!

And I'm glad you finally found a chocolate chip cookie recipe you can master. I've never understood how people get the Toll House recipe to work. My Toll House cookies never, ever work so I don't even attempt that recipe anymore. I don't generally have troubles making cookies except when...I'm making them specifically, specially for someone or some event and then inevitably fail.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

very interesting. I have never heard of a chocolate chip cookie recipe asking for an egg yoke. interesting. Now, when you say "turn out-" do you mean- teh way they look, or taste, or both?

Lora said...

LOVE the photos especially the little bum picture! I'm so glad you mastered cookie making, it's a skill I have yet to accomplish. I'm definitely going to try it out! Thanks

Valerie said...

Just seeing those cookies made me HAVE to make some last night! Cute pictures of the girls. Sisters are so sweet!

Sarah Peterson said...

Amy- I mean, the way they look and taste. My cookies were always fluffy or just weird texture. They just weren't what I wanted.

Jennifer- I agree- I can bake/cook nearly anything and do it pretty well. I don't understand why cookie making was so difficult! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Dave & Melissa said...

Isn't motherhood so worth it when the kids have such sweet moments (referring to the first picture)??? And then they have their quirky, not so fun moments like when they steal binkies, wake eachother up, bug eachother until the younger sister squaks and the older brother just laughs, having gotten the reaction he was looking for...... I couldn't be talking about myyyy, kids.... LOL. And then they have the sweet moments again and it makes it all worth it.

Dawn said...

What precious pictures! I remember finding Nojah in the corner with his sisters binky a number of times. It's great how they share :0) if that's what you call it. Ok I think today is a great day for cookies. They do look yummy. I had a really good recipe about 4 or 5 years ago that I got from my mom. However, I took her original and lost it so now neither of us have it. Ooops........

Dawn said...

Yum, thinking of you while I am making myself sick eating cookies and dough right now. Thanks!!