Monday, June 22, 2009

Progress

This little girl is doing pretty well at being a "big girl". She used to tell me "Mom, I'm not a big girl, I'm Olivia, I'm little." She has now come to see the benefits of being "big". She knows little people can't eat treats, can't dance, run, and go to nursery. Olivia is now sleeping most of the time through the night in her big bed, she is getting pretty good at potty training. She can sleep through the night without wetting the bed (I don't want to jinx myself, but she hasn't had an accident at night ever since she has gone without diapers) She still has day time accidents every couple days. She sometimes gets crabby and refuses to go to the potty, which results in an accident. And sometimes I think she just has a hard time knowing when she needs to go, and it comes on so suddenly that she can't get there in time. We don't really need the pull-ups anymore. She goes on the potty in public without much fuss (although she HAS to have her fold up potty top) In a few weeks she will be giving up her binkys. We have talked about it a lot. She says she is ready. I gave her a few options and she has decided that she wants to buy a new scooter with her binkys. She is pretty excited about it, but we'll see what happens that night when she has no binkys to go to bed with. I'm scared...

5 comments:

Karen K. said...

Wow! She was ready!!! Woo hoo Olivia! I'm not sure I'm ready for her to be a 'big' girl. And I don't blame her for wanting her fold-up potty seat. I think I would like one too! The binky thing should work-- you might ask her if she wants to 'practice' going to bed without her binky or going to bed with only 2 instead of 3 or however many she takes with her. Check you email. I am emailing you a couple of scooter pics. I want to know if what I looked at is what she wants. Oh, and her hair is GROWING!

Dawn said...

Sounds like she is doing great! I like the idea of getting to "buy" something with her binkies.

Brandi said...

What a good idea. Buying a scooter with her binkys. So cute. Hopefully it happens this way for you, but Tony only cried for three nights when we took his binky away. He was only one, but he didn't cry that much either. After that first night he slept without it without crying, he didn't want it anymore. However, we supplemented with what is now his favorite stuffed animal. Pooh Bear. Good luck!

Natalie said...

wooeee... she is getting big! good luck!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

SO HAPPY that we never had to deal with the binky issue at our house. Ethan just never took to them. I have heard some horror stories about breaking the habit, but I've also heard one-night success stories where it was never an issue again. Hopefully your experience will the 2nd one. Good luck!