Monday, June 13, 2011

Latest Hobby

I have mentioned a few times that I have a new love for baking... Baking TREATS that is ;) I have come so far in my quest to make yummy delicious baked goods. Lets just say just a few years ago I couldn't even bake a chocolate chip cookie that tasted good. I also failed at many other treats. They were usually okay, but not great. I wanted to make cakes and cookies and treats that were REALLY good. I think I am really getting there. I have read lots and lots of cook books and detailed ways of how you should bake, what type of ingredients to use, and so on. It has been so fun. My sister in law Britta has real talent for baking and she has taught me a lot too. Today at the library I found a new cookbook that I think is a gem. It is: The sweeter side of Amy's Bread. I love it! I have yet to try a recipe, but I have looked at them, and they look like good recipes. That is yet another talent I am being blessed with. With all the recipes and knowledge I have now, I can generally look at a recipe and know if it is a good one. I am not a professional of any sort, but I really am developing a talent for this baking stuff! Another favorite book I got at the library was Juniors Cheesecakes. I tried to make a cheese cake before this book, and it was nasty. Now the few cheesecakes I have made are REALLY good. I don't meant to brag... it's the book that taught me the tricks. So, if you are ever interested in making a cheesecake and don't know how, just check out that book. It is great.

I have had another quest of making great home made bread. Not nasty stuff that is heavy and dense. No, I want to make really good bread. The kind you pay lots of money for at a bakery. The kind you can't buy in the store, only really good bakery shops. I want to make good french breads with crusty tops and baguettes that are to die for. I have tried a little, but I have not succeeded in this pursuit yet. I think I need to invest in the right tools first. I don't have a Kithenaid or bosch, and it would be fabulous to have the kind of oven that is good for making bread. Yeah, maybe when we are rich... ;) Although I have read a lot of books about it and scoured the internet, it still intimidates me. I know I will get there some day, it's just a little more intimidating then the pasty/treat making. Don't get me wrong, I can make yeast breads and bread sticks and what not, I just want to make it better. I don't want to eat the average home cooked stuff, I have a quest for the best!
Oh, and Ma, since you are always asking for gift ideas,and I never have an answer for you, I would love to own those books some day... hint hint!

8 comments:

Karen K. said...

You are such a little carb-a-holic. ;) I'm glad you're developing a talent for baking. I like baking too. Generally things turn out well for me but lately I've been attempting gluten-free baking and, well, that is not so simple. Gluten is often one of the main ingredients in good breads! I wish I eat one of those cheesecakes you've made. The one you posted on your blog looked amazing. yummmmmmmmm. I will make a note of the books. :) Thanks for the idea.

Karen K. said...

I wish I COULD eat... Why do words disappear when I type a comment?

Dave & Melissa said...

How FUN! I'm so addicted to carbs, too. I'd love to read about some of the tips you've learned!

Dawn said...

Oh, I love to bake too, but eating the baked goods are my FAVORITE!! Happy Baking!!

Sblogger said...

Sarah, you are one talented woman. Every time I talk to you, I learn another talent you have. Way to make the time to develop your talents. You better do it now before you have three kids and don't have time anymore! :)

Kristen P. said...

Many of my friends make GOOD bread. You have to have either a Bosch or BlendTec mixer. A KitchenAide will not cut it and I agree. I've tried bread a couple times with the KitchenAide. It cannot knead the dough thoroughly. The Bosch and BlendTech will do it.

Betty said...

I love my Bosch mixer. I used to sell Brauns, but the Bosch is better! To make good whole wheat bread, find a recipe that uses gluten flour (unless you have a good high gluten wheat) and lecithin... I had several really good bread cookbooks, but I sold them at a garage sale. Sorry!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

This is how I feel with cooking. I want to learn how to make REALLY GOOD FOOD. Only a few times in our marraige has mike freaked out over something I've made, otherwise, I know it's just fine, not great, not bad, just fine. I want to make meals where he just LOVES me for it! That's so cool that you're becoming such a yummy baker! Too bad we're not neighbors so I could partake of it :)